The well known fast food chain McDonald’s recalled about 12 million Shrek drinking glasses on Friday, June 4.
The Shrek drinking glasses, which were sold for $1.99 each at McDonald’s are being recalled because federal regulators found they contain the toxic metal cadmium.
McDonald’s customers who have purchased these Shrek-themed glasses are advised to keep them away from children and return them to McDonald’s for a refund.
Many are saying this recall may affect Dreamworks Animation and the latest Shrek film, Shrek Forever After.
“McDonald’s is a valued partner of DreamWorks Animation and has long been a leader in corporate citizenship,” said Anne Globe, head of worldwide marketing for DreamWorks Animation. “We are fully supportive of McDonald’s efforts to take a leadership role in setting new standards through their voluntary recall.”
McDonald’s says the recall comes “in light of the CPSC’s evolving assessment of standards for cadmium in consumer products.” McDonald’s adds that the glasses did meet federal safety standards during laboratory testing.
“Our children’s health should not depend on the consciences of anonymous sources. Although McDonald’s did the right thing by recalling these products, we need stronger testing standards to ensure that all children’s products are proven safe before they hit the shelves,” Republican Jackie Speier said in a statement on her website. “Cadmium is a toxic substance that is extremely dangerous to the developmental health of children.”
A McDonald’s spokesman, Walt Riker, said in an interview: “We’ve had a good, constructive two-way dialogue with the congresswoman’s office and with the Consumer Product Safety Commission.”