Four Killed, One Injured in Michigan Plane Crash

A small private plane crashed in St. Ignace in Northern Michigan Tuesday night, July 13, killing 4 of 5 family members and leaving the fifth injured.

The sheriff’s department says the 5 people in the plane were all related. A 13-year-old boy, who was ejected from the twin-engine Beachcraft 58, was the lone survivor. He was airlifted to a hospital suffering severe burns.

The plane crashed near Mackinac County Airport in St. Ignace in Northern Michigan.

“The plane encountered some form of difficulty after becoming airborne, the plane crossed over northbound I-75 and struck the median barrier, flipped over and crashed coming to rest on the shoulder of southbound I-75,” the Mackinac County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.

According to the Mackinac County Sheriff’s Department, the plane had trouble immediately after taking off from the Mackinac County Airport.

Airport officials say the plane was taking off just after 5 p.m. when it crashed 100 feet off the end of the runway and immediately burst into flames.

Sources say Moshe Menora, of Skokie, IL an experienced pilot, and Chief Executive of Tri-United Management in Chicago, was taking four visiting Israeli grandchildren from Ramat Hasharon on a day trip when his plane malfunctioned and crashed after refueling in St. Ignace, Michigan. VIN News has confirmed that Menora and his three granddaughters, Rikki Menora, 17, Racheli Menora, 15 and Sara Klein, 17, all died in the crash. Yossi Menora, 13, the youngest of the five, was the only survivor.

The 4 grandchildren were visiting their grandparents for a week from Isreal.

“He just wanted to do something with the children for a few hours,” Sema Menora, Moshe Menora’s wife, said. “They wanted to go in the plane. It was a special treat and he was a very skilled pilot.

“He had a very good relationship with his grandchildren. He enjoyed flying and wanted them to be part of what he loved, and they loved it.”

Sema Menora said she last spoke with her husband Tuesday morning before they left.

“I just said, ‘Have fun, have a good trip and I’ll see you for dinner,’” she said.

The FAA and National Transportation Safety Board are investigating.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks


1 Comment

    Leave a Comment